Washington, DC – The newly formed Chesapeake Collegiate Rugby Conference has announced that it will begin conference play in September of 2016 with 9 member schools. Each of these schools went through a rigorous selection process where the members looked at school support, academic reputation, alumni support, and facilities to determine eligibility for the conference. Every team in this conference has enjoyed considerable success in their respective unions and is looking forward to the challenge of advancing the game in a true, D1 athletic conference.
The founding members are the following schools, from north to south:
• Mount St Mary’s University in Emmitsburg, MD
• Towson University in Towson, MD
• University of Maryland in College Park, MD
• Georgetown University in Washington DC
• Salisbury University in Salisbury, MD
• James Madison University in Harrisburg, VA
• University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA
• University of Virgnia in Charlottesville, VA
• Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA
These programs want to play at a high level, insuring a first and a second side game every weekend, while keeping the competition to an 8-week conference fall season, with playoffs to follow. The schools are already partnering on a spring 7’s series at member schools called the “Capital 7’s Series”. There are already plans for All-Star play and player development clinics.